Thursday, April 23, 2020

Textiles In Service to Others... Mask Making

So last week, I didn't post a lot. Why?
Well, my alma mater had reached out to students and alumni and asked that we make masks for hospitals and nursing homes in the NYC area.



I volunteered!

And it became a family project.

As I have mentioned before in other places, I feel very strongly about teaching kids community service! I focus on the fact that it makes people resilient and helps us overcome trauma.
Well COVID-19 is just that. The time to use the gifts you have received... the talents, the skills, the materials, the time.. to help others. And by helping others you will help yourself to overcome the possible trauma that you may experience from the anxiety, fear, stress, etc. from this experience.

Cards for kids in Foster Care Project that talks about how helping others, helps ourselves.
https://www.capenews.net/sandwich/news/sandwich-students-create-cards-for-foster-children/article_463c2a60-4098-57e5-8636-4d5b00973f21.html

Once I volunteered, we were hit with some challenges. I had tons of fabric scraps growing up in a family of sewers. But I didn't have elastic. And it was no where to be found locally. I searched stores, asked friends, etc.

So we opted for using hair rubber bands after learning about that on some websites.


I sewed. I sewed some more.

And my kids, sewed on the elastic! It became something they loved to do. They had some quiet time, listened to an audiobook and hand sewed on the elastic bands!

We completed our first 25 and sent them out!


It felt good! And we are doing more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Posts

Community Art Project : Do It at Cotuit

It felt great to work on this life sized mural that connects artist while we are apart. Literally intertwines humans on the canvas and spark...